Online Dating – Only You Can Make it Happen
Online dating services are now used by 40% of UK singles but only around 10% find love.
Why is this? Well obviously choosing a good dating site that’s easy to use and has the latest matchmaking features and lots of genuine members is important.
However here as ever the old adage “it’s not what you do but it’s the way that you do it”
The truth is most people join a dating site then wait to see what happens instead of
taking actions likely to result in achieving their goal. Here are five great tips to ensure you are one of the “lucky” ones who finds love online….
1. Create A Great Profile. This is the most important aspect of your online dating site experience. Don’t just say ‘Nice guy seeks nice girl for trips to the cinema’ – how boring does that sound? Take the time to say something about yourself, your lifestyle, your interests and the type of person you’re hoping to meet. And remember to sound happy, upbeat, fun and confident; if you’re miserable about your recent breakup, then keep it to yourself! This isn’t the time for modesty; if you think you’re pretty darn attractive, then be sure to say so. And humour is a real ice-breaker – if you can make someone laugh, they’ll be more likely to want to contact you.
2. Always Upload A Photo. Even if you don’t have a very flattering one to hand, you should always post a pic with your profile. Remember, 95% of people on dating sites only search for other members who have bothered to provide a picture of themselves. You want to see what other potential partners look like so it stands to reason that other people will want to know what you look like too. If your photo isn’t recent or isn’t a great likeness of you, you can always say so in your profile.
3. Be Proactive. Don’t just join an online dating site and expect other people to contact you. Make sure you regularly search the database for people with whom you might be compatible and when you find someone you like the look or sound of, write to them immediately and tell them why you think you might be a good fit.
4. Write Great Emails. OK, you’ve joined an online dating site, you’ve searched for other members who fall within your specified categories, and you’ve been presented with a page of matching profiles. You’re eager to fire off a few emails…but what on earth do you say in them? Re-read the paragraph above about creating a great profile and apply the same rules to the first email that you send to another member. If it looks like you can’t be bothered to say much or that you’re sending the same one line message to several people, then they probably wont bother to reply. Tell that person a little about who you are and why you think you might both be compatible – respond directly to what you’ve read in that person’s profile – sound interested and interesting and you’ll get an email by return – sound boring and downbeat and you’ll just be ignored.
5. Check Back With The Site. There are two reasons why you should do this as often as possible. The most obvious one is to keep up to speed with who has joined since you last logged-on; that special someone might have signed-up since you last visited the site so don’t miss out. However, what most people don’t realise is that when you log-in to a dating site, your profile moves up the listings on the internal search engine which means that you are more likely to be spotted and subsequently contacted by other people. Don’t be a stranger to the site you’ve joined and I recommend that you visit the site at least once a day during the lifetime of your membership.
So there you have it – 5 easy ways to make your chosen online dating site work for YOU. Have fun and happy hunting!