Why your dating profile is critical to your online dating success
Joining a dating site with millions of members presents you with unlimited opportunities to find matches. At the same time this puts you in competition with millions of others all vying for the attention of suitable mates. Creating a unique and amazing dating profile is therefore paramount if you are to gain the attention you deserve from the people you want to attract.
Content is king
It’s no accident that online dating profiles are often referred to as personal ads because this description stems from the days when online dating sites didn’t exist and instead singles would use the personal columns in their local newspaper to advertise for a partner.
Some people still use this medium to attract a mate but the vast majority now use online dating instead. However one aspect never changes and that is content is king!
So what can you do to make sure your dating profile stands out from the crowd and wins you the attention you deserve not from just anyone but from the people you want to attract?
What are the key features of a great dating profile?
A good starting point is this checklist of what makes a great dating profile. Take a look at it and compare with your current dating profile to find out how many of the boxes it ticks!
- Attractive nickname/username. What does your nickname or username say about you? This can make or break you especially if you have chosen something like “Unlucky in Love” which really tells the world you’re a loser. How many people want to date a loser? Something like “English Rose” conjures up a much more appealing picture in the mind of the reader and is more likely to make them want to take a look at your headline.
- Attention grabbing headline. You don’t get a second chance to make a good first impression and this is it so it has to be sensational otherwise no matter how good the rest of your profile is it will be passed over.
- About the real you. Do you really know who you are? There’s really no point in dating anyone until and unless you know who you are as a person otherwise you could end up misleading someone which will ultimately lead to disappointment.
- Honest. Don’t be tempted to lie about your age, weight, height, fitness, hobbies, marital status or indeed anything. Misrepresenting yourself will catch you out in the end and you’ll probably live to regret it when the potential mate you’ve met discovers the deceit and end the relationship. Trust is after all the basis for any good relationship.
- Interesting. It’s not what you say but it’s the way that you say it! Your profile might say the same things about you as thousands of others but does it say them in a unique and interesting way? Try to find three interesting and unusual things to say about you, what you’ve done or what you’re particularly interested in. It’s also a good idea to describe your life values here so people know what you stand for and believe in.
- Humorous. Laughter is not only the best medicine but it’s a great way to win people over and they’ll want to know more about you. Is your profile liberally sprinkled with the kind of humour that makes people laugh?
- Positive. Does your profile description contain any negative emotions such as anger, despair, sorrow, malice, envy, greed, grief,or does it contain only positive emotions such as love, joy, gratitude, hope, serenity and pride? Which emotions do you find most attractive?
- Visually attractive. Did you know that people who add a picture to their profile get twenty times more replies than those who don’t? Have you added a picture to your profile? If so does it reflect your true personality and is it current? Have you thought about having a picture taken by a professional photographer – this can make a huge difference to your appeal!
- Concise. Does your dating profile look like your autobiography or conversely does it look like a text message? There is a happy medium which is generally considered to somewhere between 250-500 words.
- Good English. Have you dotted all your “i’s” and crossed all your “t’s”? Making spelling or grammatical errors for many people is a big NO NO so make sure your profile is word perfect.
About the person you seek
- Realistic. Are selection criteria such as live within 3 miles radius, blonde hair, 6 feet tall, Christian etc eliminating 99% of potential matches? By setting less stringent crtiteria you may find many more potential matches.
- Non starters. Just as important as being prepared to compromise on certain selection criteria is to be upfront about those that you would consider mandatory. These could include non smoker, dog lover, age range, religion etc.
You can see by the dating profile checklist here that creating an effective dating profile can be a challenging and time consuming task but in the end as with everything in life what you get out is as much as you put in.
Some people find their work or personal commitments means they don’t have the time to invest in creating a great dating profile and others simply find it difficult to describe themselves and their ideal match. There are probably many other reasons for dating profiles failing to show people in the best possible light but whatever the reason our unique online dating profile writing service can help.
Find out how our online dating profile writing service can help you to attract the people you like.